Your baitcast reel has been designed to provide years of dependable performance when properly maintained and lubricated. The following points document the proper maintenance guidelines that should be used for all baitcast reels:
- Be sure to exercise care when applying oil and grease and use only small amounts of each when lubricating, as excess is unnecessary and can hinder performance of reel.
- The more frequent or severe the use, the more often and thoroughly a reel should be serviced. Your reel should be cleaned and re-lubed after each trip of saltwater fishing or if dropped in dirt or sand.
- Annually the reel should be professionally cleaned and lubricated by an authorized Zebco Brands Service Center.
- A detailed lubrication schematic for baitcast reels can be viewed here. Lubrication points are as follows (some part descriptions will vary from reel to reel):
- Grease: Main Gear, Pinion Gear, Pinion Yoke, Worm Shaft (light grease), Worm Gear, Release Slider, Worm Shaft Guard, Anti-Reverse Ratchet (when applicable), Continuous Anti-Reverse Clutch Sleeve (when applicable), and Bushings.
- Oil: Spool Shaft, Spool Shaft ends, Handle Knobs (both sides), Spool Release Mechanism, Level Wind Stabilizer Bar, and Ball Bearings.
NOTE: Grease and oil used should be a good quality, light grade product designed for fishing reels.